Plymouth Albion v London Scottish match report

Plymouth Albion 20 London Scottish 22

When referee Darren Gamage blew his final whistle there was a feeling of what might have been had Albion kept 15 players on the field.

In the 52nd minute Albion had lock Brett Beukeboom sent off for a tip tackle, a decision that head coach James Shanahan had no problems with.

Following Beukeboom’s dismissal Albion restored their pack to eight by bringing on Sean-Michael Stephen but had to withdraw wing Tom Bowen.

Two minutes before full time Albion led 20-17 but Scottish snatched victory when replacement scrum half Jamie Stevenson sprinted up an unguarded right touchline.

Had Bowen been on the field there is a good chance that he would have been in position to tackle Stevenson.

Plymouth Albion v London Scottish 041013

A clearly disappointed Shanahan speaking after the match said, “You can’t give away yellow and red cards and expect to win a game of rugby.

“I feel sorry and would like to apologise to the Albion supporters for our first half performance. There was no energy or intensity and it simply wasn’t good enough.”

“We scrummaged much better tonight and improved in the second half. Credit to the boys who played 40 minutes with 14 men. Many of them were out on their feet at the end.”

After the game Albion held a disciplinary meeting and suspended Beukeboom for four weeks, ahead of an RFU meeting.

Albion made six changes, two of them positional, from the team well beaten by London Welsh the previous weekend.

Having recovered from injury summer signing Jamie Davies made his Albion debut on the left wing with Ben Woods moving into the centre.

There was a first start for loose head prop Ben Rogers and influential No 8 Herbie Stupple, another returning from injury.

Irish flanker Eoghan grace returned to the back row with skipper Rhys Oakley switching to the second row.

London Scottish coming off the back of a good home win against Nottingham included ex Albion men James Love and Tyler Hotson in their starting line up.

Scottish fly half Lee Millar opened the scoring with a penalty before Bowen was carded.

Albion survived the next 10 minutes but shortly after being restored to the full 15, visiting scrum half Jordi Pasqualin scored the opening try which Millar converted from the touchline.

Albion opened their account when flanker Eoghan Grace ran onto a long pass from scrum half Ruairi Cushion to score by the posts, making the conversion a formality for fly half Dan Mugford.

Scottish themselves went down to 14 when wing Mile Doneghan was sin binned but the visitors held out and went in the interval leading 10-7.

Shortly after half time Albion took the lead when a break by skipper Rhys Oakley was finished off by Beukeboom, with Mugford converting.

A minute after Beukeboom’s dismissal Scottish regained the lead when impressive No 8 Mark Bright scored off a rolling maul, with Millar adding the extras.

Albion, who were holding their own in the scrums, got their noses in front again when Mugford, playing against his former club, slotted two penalties.

Plymouth Albion v London Scottish 041013

Albion had victory taken away from them when replacement centre P J Gidlow put Stevenson away with a well timed pass and the scrum half had a clear run into the corner.

Next up for Albion is a British & Irish Cup match against Nottingham at Brickfields on Friday evening.

Plymouth Albion; C Elder, T Bowen (S-M Stephen 55), B Woods, T Howley-Berridge, J Davies (H Stevens 69), D Mugford (J Shanahan 79), R Cushion (P Rowley 80), B Rogers, D McGregor (G Evans 40), D Morton, B Beukeboom, R Oakley capt, R Langley, E Grace, H Stupple (D Williams 77) rep not used T Harrison

Tries: Grace, Beukeboom

Cons: Mugford 2

Pens: Mugford 2

Yellow card – Bowen

Red card – Beukeboom

London Scottish: J Love, M Doneghan, O Grove, A Reay (PJ Gidlow 43), M Mantella, L Miller (D Newton 63), J Pasqualin (J Stevenson 55), M Irish, T Stagg, L Thiede (E Fry 46), D Lyons, T Hotson, C Pennycook, N Best, M Bright capt reps not used L Calder, J Kilbane,  A Karonias

Tries: Pasqualin, Bright, Stevenson

Cons: Millar 2

Pen: Millar

Referee  Darren Gamage (RFU)

Att 1,904