Plymouth Albion 68 Fylde 15

Dan Mugford of Plymouth Albion celebrates the try during the match between Plymouth Albion v Fylde RFC at the Brickfields Recreation Ground, on September 23rd 2017, Plymouth, Devon, UK. PHOTO: Cameron Geran/PPAUK

By Paddy Marsh at Brickfields

In front of a number of former players who returned to Brickfields to remember former legend Gary Lovell, Plymouth Albion turned on the style to run in ten tries against a young Fylde side.

Albion will be slightly disappointed with their first half showing against winless Fylde who themselves played well in the first 40.

Albion led by 11 points at the break but it was a totally different story in the second period as Albion ran in tries at regular intervals.

Star of the show for Plymouth was fly half Dan Mugford who got one of Albion’s tries and converted nine for a personal tally of 23 points.

Albion flanker Eoghan Grace, one of the few not to get on the score sheet said, “Credit to Fylde who played well in that first half but we knew and said at half time that if we stuck to our structures the scores would come.

“This season we have been making slow starts and we did the same again today. That is something we are going to have to look at but in the second half our fitness levels were very evident.

“We are improving all the time but lets take it one game at a time.”

Albion made five changes to the side that gained a good bonus point win at Bishop’s Stortford.

Seta Raumakita, Cameron Setter, Luke Chapman, Marcus Street and Dan Swain all came in making their first starts of the season.

In perfect playing conditions Albion made a good start and took the lead in the 3rd minute when full back Matt Shepherd brushed off a tackle to score wide out.

Albion went down to 14 when flanker George Mills was yellow carded for a professional foul but fly half Greg Smith was wide with the resulting penalty.

From the restart Fylde levelled matters when hooker Ben Gregory forced his way over by the corner flag.

Shortly before the half hour Fylde took the lead when Smith kicked a simple penalty after Albion were caught offside on the 22.

The home side hit back immediately and regained the lead with a second try created by Grace and finished off by lock Ed Holmes with Mugford converting.

In the final minute of the first half Albion were fortunate to add a third try when centre Harvey Skinner intercepted a loose Fylde pass and sprinted in from half way.

Mugford converted to send Albion into the interval leading 19-8.

Skipper Herbie Stupple got the bonus point try early in the second half and he was followed over the whitewash by winger Matt Crosscombe.

Fylde were then awarded a penalty try which also saw prop Marcus Street yellow carded.

Despite being a man down Albion added a sixth try scored by replacement Jack Owlett before hooker Rupert Freestone forced his way over.

Harvey Skinner then scored his second interception try of the game before Mugford added his name to the try scorers.

Albion’s final try was scored by wing Jack Arnott and Mugford concluded the scoring with a fine conversion from the touchline.

Albion’s victory took them up to third place in the National 1 table.

Plymouth Albion: M Shepherd (J Gott 66 -78), M Crosscombe, S Raumakita, H Skinner, J Arnott, D Mugford, C Setter, L Chapman (J Owlett 59), R Freestone (J Salter 66), M Street, D Swain (S Lonsdale 56), E Holmes, E Grace (S Daly 59), G Mills (L Owlett 53), H Stupple capt (D Swain 66)

Tries: Shepherd, Holmes, Skinner 2, Stupple, Crosscombe, Owlett , Freestone, Mugford, Arnott

Cons: Mugford 9

Yellow cards: Mills, Street

Fylde: T Carleton, H Hadfield (J Foster 53), C Briers, C Wilkinson, T Grimes, G Smith, A Dolly, A Lewis capt, B Gregory (D Richardson 58), M Irving (D Carlton 59), M Garrod (K Capstick 64), N Ashcroft, J Brookes (T Burtonwood 47), A McCarthy, T Harrison

Tries: Gregory, Penalty try

Pen: Smith

Attendance: 996

Referee: Christophe Ridley (RFU)