Nottingham v Plymouth Albion Match Report

Nottingham 15 Plymouth Albion 10

Sunday 17th November 2013

Plymouth Albion’s miserable record at Meadow Lane continued when after an error strewn performance they went down to their eighth successive defeat at Meadow Lane, the home of Notts County FC.

Albion had more than enough chances to win the game but the visitors were unable to finish off the try scoring opportunities they created,

Nottingham who currently have severe financial problems were seen home by the boot of full back Matthew Jarvis who slotted five of his eight kicks at goal.

Albion once again appeared to be on the wrong end of some strange decisions by referee Dean Richards and the visitors gave away a number of penalties, most of them at the scrum situation.

A clearly disappointed head coach James Shanahan reflecting on the performance said, “At half time and at the end of the game I told the players that our lack of accuracy could and did cost us the game.

Nottingham v Plymouth Albion 171113

“Nottingham had a strong set piece but they didn’t create anything and relied on the big boot of their full back.

“We made four line breaks which we couldn’t finish off. I’m really frustrated and that was our worst performance of the season.”

Albion made five changes to the side that beat Ealing Trailfinders the previous weekend.

Heath Stevens was selected at centre and Paul Rowley came in at scrum half with club captain Ruairi Cushion dropping down to the bench.

In the front row dual registered prop Lloyd Fairbrother made his first start of the season while in the second row a fit again Dan Williams came in for Ien Ascroft-Leigh.

Eoghan Grace who picked up a knee injury in the Ealing game was replaced by Rob Langley and there was a welcome return for Herbie Stupple who was named on the bench after a month out with an ankle injury.

One familiar name in the Nottingham line up was hooker Jon Vickers who moved to the Green and Whites from Albion in the summer.

Nottingham v Plymouth Albion 171113

On a dull and overcast afternoon Nottingham took an early lead when full back Matthew Jarvis kicked a penalty from inside his own half after Albion were penalised for not rolling away.

Albion levelled matters in the 18th minute when fly half Declan Cusack slotted a 40 metre penalty given for not rolling away.

Albion took the lead shortly afterwards when Stevens, after taking a well timed pass, went over unopposed for the games opening try and Cusack added the extras.

Nottingham reduced the deficit to four points when Jarvis put over a penalty from 45 metres after Albion were pulled up at a ruck.

In first half stoppage time Albion prop Ben Rogers was penalised at a scrum and Jarvis made it a hat trick of penalties, which sent Plymouth into the interval leading 10-9.

Nottingham regained the lead in the 52nd minute when Jarvis added another penalty this time form 40 metres.

Albion were then reduced to 14 when, minutes after coming on as a replacement, Martin Rice was yellow carded after a scrum offence.

Nottingham stretched their lead to five points when Jarvis put over his fifth penalty of the game.

Albion had a chance to reduce the deficit but full back Chris Elder, taking over the kicking duties from Cusack, was wide with a penalty.

At the end Albion created a chance to win the game but after being put clear Langley was pulled back because the final pass to him was judged to be forward.

Nottingham: M Jarvis, S Morris, E Styles, J Monro, R Hough, R Lynn, F Barnham, R Bower, J Vickers (A Walker 13), M Holford, N Keogh, D Montague, T Calladine, B Wilson capt, A Shaw reps not used H Williams, J Burton, K Laxton, S Romans, H Lee-Everton, J Knight

Pens: Jarvis 5

Plymouth Albion: C Elder, T Bowen, H Stevens, T Howley-Berridge (J Arnott 9-13), L Warner (J Arnott 54)h, D Cusack (J Shanahan 63), P Rowley (R Cushion 63), B Rogers (D Morton 49), G Evans (D McGregor 49), L Fairbrother (M Rice 63), D Williams, H Tovey (H Stupple 47), S-M Stephen, R Langley (B Rogers 73 -78), R Oakley capt

Try: Stevens

Con: Cusack

Pen: Cusack

Yellow card: Rice

Referee: Dean Richards (RFU)

Attendance 1,261