Albion beat defiant Fylde 29-21

George Mills of Plymouth Albion waits for a challenge from  Conner Dever of Fylde during the National League 1 match between Plymouth Albion and Fylde on January 28, 2017 in Plymouth, Devon. PHOTO: Mandatory by-line: Dave Rowntree/Pinnacle - Photo Agency Ltd Tel: +44(0)1363 881025 - Mobile:0797 1270 681 - 28/01/2017 - SPORT-RUGBY UNION- National League 1- Brickfields, Plymouth, Devon ,England,UK

By Tobi Koiki

Albion started on the front foot, after just 6 minutes they got their just rewards scoring a converted try through hooker Rupert Freestone, after some great work from their forwards to make the score 7-0.

Plymouth’s continued pressure soon brought more tries, 10 minutes later second row Nile Dacres went over the whitewash for their second try of the game. It was duly converted by stand-in kicker Matthew Shepherd.

An aggressive Fylde kick chase gave them a penalty for their first points of the game. The speedy winger James Bailey slid over to make it 14-7 Albion with just 15 minutes left in the first-half.

Hallett’s men didn’t take that lying down. A series of dangerous attacks lead to a break away from their scrum-half Cameron Setter, who chipped the ball over the Fylde defence for wing Matt Crosscombe to dive over for the converted try just before the break. 21-7

Directly after the restart, Albion came close to another try once again with a sweeping move from their backs; however Wedlake was judged to have stepped into touch.

After a scrappy period Plymouth’s forwards confirmed their superiority breaking through Fylde’s defence. A bonus-point try from substitute Dan Pullinger brought the game back to life. The conversion was missed by Shepherd and kept the score at 26-7 with just 10 minutes to go.

A yellow card for second row Rupert Cooper gave Fylde the upper hand, the Lancashire side capitalised on their extra man advantage. Scoring their second try of the game through second row Nick Grey. The try was converted by Sam Bedlow 26-14.

The away side didn’t stop there, a lapse in concentration from the Albion defence lead to another converted try from flanker Jack Turley. He scored under the posts to set up a grandstand finish with just 4 minutes in the game. 26-21

The game was played with great intensity in the last few minutes, Hallett’s men showed their experience and slowed the game down. They earned a penalty for a high tackle, it was converted by Shepherd to finish the game 29-21 to Albion.

Albion scores: Freestone (6) Dacres (15) Crosscombe (42) Pullinger (72) Shepherd conv (7,16, 43) miss conv (73) Penalty con (82)

Fylde scores: Bailey (33) Nick Grey (75) Turley (80) Bedlow conv (34, 76, 81)